Dressing a baby for a North Country winter


Since I expected the whole “getting pregnant” thing to take much longer than it did, I never imagined that I’d have a new baby in the dead of winter.  As I have also never lived in a place with real winters before last year, I have spent a good portion of this pregnancy pondering how one possibly dresses a newborn for a North Country winter.

Through a long and convoluted path, I ended up seeing this BBC article today titled “Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes” (ww.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415).  The basic gist is that all Finnish mothers get a little box full of baby goodies from the government after they give birth, including the World’s Cutest Baby Snowsuits:



Through this webpage, I ended up reading the official Finnish guide to motherhood, which includes this incredibly helpful graphic that tells me, in no uncertain terms, exactly how I should dress my baby for the winter - and the box gives you everything you need to do it!


Now all I have to do is figure out how to find some wonderfully nice Finnish person to procure a box for me so that I can be prepared :)  (Finnish moms get them for free, but apparently there is some way to buy one, and I am fully prepared to pay some good money for this!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait