Owls


I need a quick break from work today, so I’m going to write a blog post.  I do have a few other gems already written, but they’ve been slated for later posting :)

Although our basement is still not finished (or even started) - meaning we are unable to actually decorate the nursery yet since it is still a guest room - I have begun planning.  All of my baby development books say that infants respond best to black and white, but I can’t wrap my head around a zebra print baby room.  I think I’d get dizzy.  So instead, I think we are going with a more traditional “pastel + gray” route, as simple as possible and reasonably unisex.

As biologists, it will be unsurprising that we are thinking of a “wildlife” theme.  We sort of have a wildlife theme to our whole house, actually.  I have a rather unhealthy obsession with both owls and dinosaurs, and I expect both may figure prominently in decorations.  We’re even discussing the possibility of a fish tank once we have a better sense of how overwhelmed we are with only a baby and a cat.

In pursuit of things that are dead easy to set up but still look nice, one thing we are considering is using some wall decals.  They can even be placed on furniture, should we feel so inclined, if we wanted to spruce up some white furniture with some color.  They’re supposed to be durable, yet easy to remove when it’s time to upgrade or sell.  I ordered some tester decals to try out in some inconspicuous corner of the house - I think they were like $2 - so we'll know if this is a huge mistake before making an actual purchase.  We don’t want to go too far overboard and coat the poor thing’s room in decals, but here are some potential options so far (ignore the default furniture):

Alphabet tree - with little numbers as fruit!
Owls, for the win.
Perhaps on the wall above a changing table?

Now, the baby’s room is really small, so even something like the smallest version of the alphabet tree might be overwhelming in such close quarters.  The owls would need to be split up and scattered around, etc.  But I like to think that this is a start to making the stark white walls look like something more than a Soviet-era orphanage!

I haven’t yet managed to photo the garden, but I’ll see if I can get to that later today.  In the meantime, I leave you with a belly shot from this weekend.  *She’s getting bigger!*


I did not feel like smiling for the camera.


Comments

  1. I love the owls!
    When Penelope was a baby, she was OBSESSED with the vertical blinds in the bedroom. It was the contrast between the strips of blind, and the strips of white light coming through. The baby might just LOVE a zebra-theme :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

Professor mommy

The Two Week Wait