A super duper fast update

Just so everyone doesn't think we're dead....

I have been inexcusably incommunicado lately, but there's a reason - well, several reasons, actually!  Husband and I (and a field crew of 8 additional people) are headed to the Peruvian Amazon in exactly one week (Maya is going to her grandparents' house).  We will be gone for a month, followed immediately by a job interview for me to be promoted to a tenure track position, which will be HUGE if I get it.  Cross your fingers that I don't come home with half my face eaten off from leishmaniasis, which would make for one hell of a memorable job interview :)  Thus, I am simultaneously trying to prepare for a brand new field research program with all brand new equipment (that I don't know how to work well yet) *and* prepare a job application, which is due before I leave.  Oh, and I have to organize everything with the house, the child, and the cat to be without my attention for a month.  Even the little things are starting to become overwhelming - like hello, adulting, you do in fact need to get an absentee ballot when you're gone for the entire month of March during a presidential election year!

Oh, and I have a masters student graduating right after I get back, too....

Somehow, we're managing (sort of) - but as you can see, there has been little free time for blog posts.  However, I can at least give you a few photos!  We have been trying to keep most of the stress away from Maya, although she's been asking repeatedly when she gets to go to Peru :)  Nothing gets by that one!

Oh, and good news - we are mostly (daytime) potty trained!  Humorously, she still absolutely refuses to poop in the potty.  She also, however, absolutely refuses to poop in her undies.  Thus, she knows when she has to go, and promptly orders us to put a diaper on for the 3 minutes it takes her to poop.  Unconventional, I suppose, but it works just fine for me!  I suppose I should also document for posterity that she is still missing a ton of teeth - all four canines and all four second year molars - and the missing canines in particular are somewhat surprising!  They make her smile strikingly gappy, and so she looks much younger than she is :)

Babies, like cats, LOVE anything involving packing.
She would wear our backpacks anywhere.

I'm trying to keep up with yoga, and Maya has developed an interest, too!

Grandma Lynn sent sparkly heart stickers for Valentines Day,
so we stuck them on our ears!

I had a vision, and I made it happen.  Behold, the full spectrum imaging gear -
may the invisible color world of the Amazon (especially of coral snakes and
their mimics) be mine! :)

A late addition: And lastly - Maya is an unstoppable memorizer.  I can't even keep up with her and her nursery rhymes!



Comments

  1. Eek! Exciting technology! Love it! The trip sounds amazing. Nice to get an update on you all, and see cute Maya. Penelope was potty trained in exactly the same way-- super easy to train at an early age, was a hold-out on pooping, asked for a diaper to poop in (mainly because she loved rolling around on the floor while she pooped). Ultimately we converted her to full potty use by bribing her with jelly beans :). Eli on the other hand still has absolutely no clue when he might pee or poop, unfortunately. I guess you can't get lucky twice with these things. Would be lovely to email and stay in better touch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

Professor mommy

The Two Week Wait