This is your brain on hCG

Well, good early news!  I'm almost 9 weeks with baby #2 - we had an early ultrasound this week because I had some (very minor) bleeding earlier on, but there's a strong heartbeat and everything looks good so far (and there's definitely only one baby in there, which is also great to hear).  We still have a ways to go before we're out of the woods, so we're not "announcing" or anything, but here's the very first fuzzy image of our new bean (I think it's a view up the baby's butt, so pretty unrecognizable):


Meanwhile, I am, as expected, quite sick and otherwise feeling pregnant.  I will say, however, that being at home for the barfy period is LIGHT YEARS better than doing manual labor in the Tanami Desert, which is what I did the last time.  I haven't lost an ounce (compared to the nearly 10 lbs I lost last time), I've been able to take a few naps, and otherwise been enjoying the luxury of air conditioning.  So on the whole, I'm happy to report that both my physical and mental well-being are much improved this second time around, mostly because I knew going in exactly what to expect and have planned accordingly.  The only crazy part: the return of the unbelievably vivid and totally bizarre dreams.  My brain on hCG is truly a sight to behold :)

Being over 35, I'm getting the full complement of non-invasive tests this time, including the next-gen fetal DNA screen.  I'll update again in mid-August when we have results from that, which will also give us a definitive call on the baby's sex.  Fingers crossed for a healthy baby!  In the meantime, it's all about trying to get as much work done as possible before I start feeling like I can't form complete sentences anymore...oh, and I'm teaching (an easy class, at least, with minimal prep required) this semester :)

Also fun: Maya's unbelievable level of excitement about being a big sibling!  We shouldn't have told her yet, but that child literally misses NOTHING that happens around her.  This is what she looks like while I write this post, running around in her undies, dress shoes, and baby carrier playing "big sister" by reading books to her red panda named Archibald (who is in the carrier).  We'll see if her excitement continues through the birth :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

Attempting the impossible