35/35


Two weeks left to go until (early) term!

Today I am exactly 35 weeks, which means that there are exactly 35 days remaining until my due date - the famous 35/35.  It's like a golden birthday or something, a unique occurrence.  Still nothing of interest to report - I am approximately the size of a whale, tired, unable to concentrate on anything, sore, and crampy (which is a new one).  And in all likelihood, I have - at the very least - 5 more weeks to become more of all of the above.  I fervently wish that I had been more productive with work this fall, as I didn’t meet any of my goals at all (honestly!) and feel that I’m only barely holding on to the most important of my professional responsibilities.  Guilt abounds.

Can you tell that I CANNOT WAIT to get back to feeling like myself again? :)

On a more positive note, I have managed to get pretty much all of the initial “can’t-live-without-it” baby stuff ready.  Clothes, wipes, and diapers are washed (I even washed the new diapers 7 times, for maximum absorbency) and ready to go, co-sleeper is set up, and the last of the supplies have been ordered from Amazon and will arrive Wednesday.  We have three different carriers for baby-wearing (K’tan, Moby, and Ergo w/infant insert).  Hospital bags are packed.  Labor training is nearly complete.  We have a name (well, first and last name, anyway) - heaven help us if she comes out a boy, ‘cause names take us forever to choose! :)  I think we’re ready...to sit and wait.

I guess the other good news is that I have started contemplating "life after pregnancy."  It finally seems like a real thing, and I’m looking forward to it (and not just because I’ll feel like a human again, albeit sleep-deprived).  I’m looking forward to meeting the person that we’ve created, seeing what she likes, what she thinks, how she views the world.  I’m curious about her, all the time.  What is she thinking in there???  Does she hate Aretha Franklin and Mahalia Jackson, which would be a shame since that’s all I’ve been listening to lately....

And last of all, by popular demand, here is an obligatory video of the Alien-like movements that are a regular occurrence in my belly.  This happens to all pregnant women - and quite frankly, our baby isn’t that wild compared to others I’ve seen - so this video won’t be of much interest to them, just to my non-parent friends who are reading this.  I really should have edited this clip at least to remove some of my ill-tempered snark, but I am too lazy, quite frankly :)   Also, my linea nigra is really out of control, and kind of crooked.  Anyway, I'm off to write a letter of recommendation instead, and you all can enjoy me in my full, uninhibited, whale-like glory!  

Lucky you.





Comments

  1. Well, I was suckered into watching a 2.5 minute video of your belly because I, too, currently suck at writing papers (and I'm wondering if I can effectively procrastinate for 2.5 more hours until I leave for my OB appointment), and I'm glad I watched, due to the understated name reveal! I love it!! Are you going with the Sanskrit "illusion" interpretation/spelling (LOVE), or the Greek "earth goddess" interpretation/spelling (also LOVE). Anyway-- you're lucky. I'm 38 weeks, and we STILL haven't decided on a name!! Ugh.

    Also, your linea nigra is totally out of control! I don't get one for some reason (???). Just another way my body doesn't get the memo about pregnancy changes that it's supposed to go through (like, um, entering labor? hellO?)

    Thanks for the spinning babies link. I've tried belly mapping, but it's pretty hard. I just know that limbs are thrusting forwards (sort of like in your video), and that makes me worried for another posterior labor. Crawling around and doing rezobos has just resulted in bruised kneecaps, unfortunately! Well anyway. We'll get through this last phase of beached-whalehood and labor somehow. Then bring on the cuddle bugs!! AND the post-pregnancy bodies back. Even recovering from a major abdominal incision with a hacking cough felt WAYYYY better than week 41 of pregnancy, I'm telling you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, yeah I don't know why I got a linea nigra - it's not like my super pale skin ever tans well! Didn't think I had much skin melanin...?

    Anyway, after having grown up with the less common "British" spelling of my name (=constantly misspelled, seemingly especially on legally binding documents), I have decided that we should go with the more common Sanskrit Y instead of the Greek I, even though we both like the I spelling better! Of course, I waffle about that decision fairly regularly myself....

    Yep, I'm pretty sure my baby is currently posterior too (LOP, I think) - but just remember, all we have to do is get them to OT, which is only a tiny spin! Lots and lots of babies go into labor at LOT and do just fine, so we don't need to get them all the way to anterior just yet. Which is good because I can no longer sit properly in a chair, so I lean back and prop my lower back with pillows, which spinning babies lady says is the *worst* for creating OP babies. What does my midwife say...that walking is the very best thing to do for optimal positioning, and spinning babies techniques are hit or miss. I'm guess I'm just bet hedging.... :)

    Seriously, keep us all posted - I can't believe you're already 38 weeks, YAY!!! So soon! Hope the appointment today went super well :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait