Five months: her father's daughter

Every day, Maya reminds me more and more of her father!  Waking up at 4 this morning to go birding in Canada?  For Maya (and husband), no problem!  (Mommy, however, was stumbling around in a haze while spilling her coffee.)  It's more than just sleep patterns, though - she's started making a few of his facial expressions, she's got his natural athletic ability, and she loves no one in the world more than him :)

I'm in the middle of making dinner (squash, kale, and goat cheese enchiladas!), so you're getting another set of bulleted lists!

New skills since four month update:
- sitting unsupported, for minutes and minutes and minutes!
- bending legs while standing
- sooooooo close to consistent rolling
- the beginnings of eating solids (yeah, yeah, we meant to wait until 6 months, but I could only pull the food that she stole from our plates out of her mouth so many times before I gave up and let her eat some stuff.  Besides, she was almost two weeks late, which makes her almost 5.5 months if age adjusted.  Anyway, she's not eaten much - some pears, bananas, asparagus, squash - but we're mostly letting her feed herself, so it's a process.  Anyone else done baby-led weaning or a modification thereof?)

Sleep schedule:
- Doing ok!  Mostly up twice per night, naps are pretty solid (~1 hour three times per day, sometimes with a two hour mega nap instead).  I won't complain if she wants to start dropping all nighttime feedings, however (although they do help me feel ok about her milk intake if we've had a really busy day!).

Things she loves:
- nursing
- ABBY!!!
- being outdoors
- performing new tricks - such pride on her face!
- all people
- tags

Things she hates:
- when everyone's attention isn't solely on her
- being bored

Still working on that spring migration post!

Love bug and me while writing this


Comments

  1. Ha, well daddy and baby probably weren't confusedly trying to squash a boob into a complaining little mouth at 3 AM, thus haze and spillage at 4 AM are expected... and any form of wakefulness is commendable!!

    Love the gorgeous picture of you two.

    As for weaning, we're doing baby-led-PARENTING. Ha ha. Penelope had no interest in food until she was like 1.5, and nearly choked to death 3 times. Eli literally *growls* at you if you won't LET HIM HAVE THAT PIZZA CRUST. Thus, Eli is chewing on whatever he wants, while Penelope was having her food minced to molecules until she turned two. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy how different your two babies are! Eli and Maya are kindred spirits in the growling department :)

    Yeah, choking is our main worry, and I don't find it very relaxing *at all* to let her feed herself even though she hasn't really even gagged yet. Did you ever have to actually turn Penelope over and whack her back? Any tips for how to mellow myself out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No advice there. I watch Eli eat with my heart in my throat. He gags a lot, which is super scary. But apparently it's FINE. I mean, I don't recall the US recommendations, but here they suggest offering finger foods from 6 months. I don't see kids keeling over right and left, so I guess it's rare to actually choke?

    Penelope was actually not breathing and panicking on 2 occasions-- once with bread at about 11 months (she had made it into a gummy ball in her mouth and then inhaled it). I thought she was going to die, it was horrible. So yeah, I turned her over and pounded her back, and it came out. The same thing happened with a chunk of apple when she was about 1.5. We were on a walk, and she fell behind and I noticed that she was acting weird, and when I ran back to her she was turning purple. Again, it came out when I turned her over and pounded on her. (the 3rd time was strawberry, and I'm not sure if she was actually choking or just gagging, but I had enough ptsd to just whack the hell out of her just to be sure). She talked about the apple incident for a long time. I think it really scared her.

    I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to respond to choking babies, and found them helpful.

    But I really think that Penelope was just a retarded eater.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait