By the shores of Gitche Gumee

News flash: Yes, it's true!  Being a scientist is easier than being a mom.  This week has been equal parts decadent (standing in a long, slow line without having to distract a baby from nuclear meltdown, drinking coffee whenever I feel like it, eating lunch out with husband, talking science with adults!) and heartbreaking (I miss her soooo much!).  I am so, so excited each day for the work day to end so that I can run home to my beautiful little baby :)

The transition to full-time day care is going better that I expected in some ways and worse in others.  Her naps are fine, they have no problems getting her to sleep twice a day, and she's sleeping for about an hour each time.  I had expected sleep to be the hard part, but I was wrong - it's easy.  However, it's a struggle to get her to drink any milk - although I'm sending her with at least 10-12 ounces per day, it's a good day when they get 3 into her.  Totally unsustainable from the perspective of her hydration/nutrition, as well as space in our fridge - what the hell am I supposed to do with like a QUART of extra breastmilk every WEEK???  We've tried a variety of bottles, sippy cups, open cups, warm milk, cold milk, fresh milk, frozen milk, and people to feed her.  She will drink water from whatever, but milk?  She acts like it's poison.  I'm trying to stay mellow about it and just do the best we can.  She nurses all night long and eats as much solid food as you can give her, so she's getting something.

She also cries.  A lot.  This is the bigger problem, in my opinion.  I definitely love her day care providers more than she does.  It's been getting progressively better all week, but we're not to a place that I'd call "good" yet.  Stay tuned, and think some good thoughts for us.

I'm relishing having time and brain space to work on a billion backlogged manuscripts this week, so I can't write for long.  But I did want to post some photos of our *excellent* trip to the Canadian shore of Lake Superior (hence the Longfellow reference).  Other than the mosquito bites, everything was so, so amazing.  Stunningly gorgeous scenery, great camping, new bird species (and herps!), common loons calling every night (the true sound of the North Country, and one that I adore) - the only thing that would have made it better was a moose (and believe me, we looked!).  Camping with the baby went pretty well, with these caveats that I'm writing down here so that I can remember later:

1) Bring the pump and don't be afraid to use it in the car, to pass a bottle back to the baby in traffic.  Even if she hates milk from a bottle, it'll be more interesting for her than nothing during stop-and-go gridlock!

2) Graham crackers are magic.  Get over the guilt that they're junk food, they're not that bad.

3) Bring the travel high chair to attach to picnic tables.  Having a dry place to strap the baby down is key.  May still need graham crackers for maximum effectiveness.

4) Bring extra sleeping pad for the baby in the tent.  Not sure what would work best here, but we had to improvise since she wouldn't stay/didn't really fit on mine.

5) Large tarp for use as a play mat was also good, since baby likes to eat rocks.  However, she will soon be mobile and then this won't work.

6) The jogging stroller needs a cup holder.  For coffee.

7) NO RED SAUCE PASTA.

Enjoy some fun photos of the trip - back to the manuscript!

We went to Tim Horton's.  I have no idea what all the Canadians are raving about.

We *are* the height of fashion :)


This is where we camped - with the loons!

The cliffs run right into Lake Superior.




Only eight months old, she has already dipped toes in three Great Lakes!

She *really* wanted to get all the way in, so….

You try stopping her from eating sand.  Good luck.


AAACK!!  A mink frog!!!!


She looooves snakes!



Mishibizhiw (water monster) and Mishiginebikoog (serpent)





Comments

  1. Oh my God, it's GORGEOUS. Yay for an amazing trip! Eli dropped his daytime bottle about a month ago, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

Professor mommy

The Two Week Wait