Let there be MILK!

I'm writing this post on my phone - with one hand - while nursing in the middle of the night, so this will just be a brief update. Mostly, I just want to post to say we are all alive, tired, and positively blissful over here!

After three looooong days over which Annika (like her sister before her) lost an ungodly percentage of her body weight and turned bright yellow, I'm so happy to report that my milk has *finally* come in. Of experiences pretty much destined to make a woman who's recently given birth feel like total shit, watching an incompetent phlebotomist bleed your (screaming) new baby for like 20 minutes all because YOUR BODY fails at producing real milk "on time" ranks pretty high on the mommy guilt/failure scale. Annika's current bilirubin level is up over 15, but I am hopeful that filling her belly twice over the last 2.5 hours with a giant milk dump will mean that that's the peak of the accumulation curve and weight loss. Here's to hoping :)

Other than that, recovery for me is slow, and painful, and I'm going to try to see a lactation consultant tomorrow for more shallow latch help (nipple damage is less than with Maya, so that's good, but still serious - I just make strong babies that can adjust their own latch...to something bad...from day 1, no matter how hard I try!). I will try to get the birth story up this week - it's a fun one! I'd also like to write one on how Maya's transition to big siblinghood is going as well.

I have a few super fun photos to post, but nearly all of them are on my computer, so I'll have to add them tomorrow. In the meantime, here's the only one that's on my phone (from before she got REALLY jaundiced) to tide you over... :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait