Update - still pregnant

I again don't have much time to spend blogging since I have about 15,000 outstanding work obligations that I'm supposed to be working on, but you've all (like the 3 people that read this) waited patiently since Sunday and probably want to know what's up!

I had bad contractions on early Tuesday morning (maybe 1:30am?) that woke me up, and then I was too excited to sleep since I had lost my mucous plug on Sunday and I was convinced THIS MUST BE IT!  Nope, contractions fizzled by like 5:30 or 6:00am, and I was a sleep-deprived zombie at work the rest of the day.  I made a new resolution not to do *that* again.  Since then, I've had similar contractions most nights that also wake me up, but I give them a big "fuck you" and roll over and go back to sleep.  Word to the wise: If you can go back to sleep, it isn't labor.

Yesterday at my midwife appointment, I was measured at (easily) 3cm dilated and I got membranes stripped (with gusto!), so she probably stretched me a bit beyond that as well, maybe a 4.  There's still "some length" to my cervix though, so I still have a ways to go on cervical ripening, it appears.  I had pretty bad contractions from the stripping until maybe 8 or 9pm last night, but then they fizzled.  I am thus still stuck in pregnancy purgatory, sort of close to labor but not really in it.

The closest I've come to labor actually was in my dream last night, in which I gave birth to my baby in my bed (simply woke up just as she was crowning, and none of it hurt at all), and she was beautiful, big, and wonderfully healthy.  I just unwrapped the umbilical cord from where it was tangled around her leg (???) and made sure her cry was "crackle-free" and she was breathing well.  Then, I spent the rest of the dream marveling at how great it was to not be pregnant anymore.  Easy peasy :)

Anyway, I am super distracted from work with zero motivation to do what I'm supposed to do since I'd rather just get this baby out before she gets any bigger and I can't birth her either.  She should be reasonably close to 8lbs already based on my growth ultrasound 6 weeks ago.  I'm frustrated and demoralized from lots of contractions that don't go anywhere, as well as consumed with feelings of guilt about work stuff that I'm not doing fast enough since I'd REALLY rather just be on maternity leave and napping every afternoon.  There are fires in my email inbox every single morning, and I'm simply tired of putting them all out while operating in the absence of my "happy non-pregnant equilibrium" of 3 lattes per day.

OK, enough complaining, I'm off to submit a final revision to a big manuscript that was (most happily!!) accepted last Friday in a fantastic journal.  This was the one that was such a brutal revision, and I'm so glad that it paid off :)  Reach deep and keep on keepin' on, I guess!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait