Adventures with the Nose Frida

We're home!  Overall, the conference was AWESOME.  It was definitely a different (read: harder) experience trying to do it with the baby there, but in hindsight, I would call it a success.  I saw some excellent talks, met some new people (including some of my academic idols!), and caught up with a bunch of old friends.  Oh, and ate a lot of barbecue!  Maya probably consumed her weight in collard greens - which made for some really awesome poo, let me tell you.

Here are some photos from the plane flight home - overall, she did wonderfully on both flights.  That's my little baby-on-the-go!

Don't worry, we didn't let her actually fly like this!  Pre-boarding photo op only :)

Her cuteness overwhelms me!  And the strawberry outfit!

The only downside of the trip is that the baby and I both got a cold.  It doesn't seem too bad - and I was sicker than she was - and we seem to be on the mend now.  However, I got to have my first experiences sucking massive quantities of snot out of the baby's nose with the Nose Frida.  My verdict?  Fucking gross…yet strangely satisfying.

Baby boo at the conference child care, the probable source of our snot-inducing pathogen.  We used child care for afternoons only, which was a good balance between me getting to go to talks and Maya getting at least one solid nap. She *loved* watching the other babies crawl!

I'm saving Maya's six month update post for Monday, since that's when our pediatrician appointment will be.  Can't wait to see how big she's gotten!  Other than that, we're spending some beautiful summer evenings outside watching the soap opera of nature unfold in our back yard.  The chipmunks have taken over the rock wall and had at least one (very!) successful litter this season, so there are chipmunks everywhere, continually amusing us with their chasing/calling/general antics.  The downy woodpeckers have a daily chase-fest themselves, and we have regular evening visits from a very vocal flicker.  A red squirrel has built a nest in our neighbor Ralph's wooden deck, and it runs forays to his bird feeder like it's going out of style.  We're on our second clutch of baby robins in our own porch nest, and they should fledge any day now.  And oh, the fireflies!  I will never, ever tire of them :)

Here are some other random photos of life over the past week while I pack us up to head off to the Saturday farmer's market…yay for summer!

Maya and Abby are actually playing together now!

Don't worry, both are surprisingly gentle with each other,

This is their favorite game - "reach and play over basket" 

Second downside to traveling - baby now thinks she can nap on top of me - in bed - ALL THE TIME.  So we're back to crib training…again.  

Wearing her baby mammoth shirt from the Field Museum - thanks so much, Sushma!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait