Two months!

First things first: stats.  Annika had her 2 month appointment on Monday, where she got growth measurements and her first round of shots.  She is now a (WHOPPING) 13lbs 4oz and 23.25in (head circumference is 15.8in), so she's like 90th percentile in every metric.  For comparison, Maya was 11lbs 12oz and 24in at the same check, and she was born a pound heavier.  Annika still spits up a ton, but somehow she's almost doubled her birth weight as a 100% breastfed baby by two months - and she has doubled from her lowest weight after birth.  Husband has taken to calling her "Pudge-cicle."

Annika at two months :)

Shots went well - the first afternoon oscillated between the photo below and sleeping, but otherwise no fever and no redness/swelling at her injection sites.  I was nervous and pretty much hate the first round of shots when you don't know how your baby will respond, but I always tell myself that you know what's worse?  Pertussis.  Or meningitis.  Or hepatitis.  And that gets me over the worry hump until it's clear (like now) that the baby handled everything well.

What she thought of her shots

Annika at two months is a pretty typical baby.  The last few days have been quite nice and she seems to be having a "settled" phase in which she's finally happy being held without actually being in constant motion, especially if we sit with her outside to watch the quickly-leafing trees.  The past two nights I've even been able to sit with her on my lap at the dinner table, and one night she let me actually eat one-handed while we were sitting there!  She stayed awake the whole walk to go pick up Maya from school yesterday, which was also a first.  I think she's beginning to come into her own :)

In terms of physical development, she's still refusing to smile a lot.  She'll smile sometimes, so I know she can, but she's just not a smiley baby.  She's starting to get better head control as well, but we still have a ways to go - I'm looking forward to being able to carry her one handed!  The most surprising thing about her motor skills is how strong her legs are.  Whenever I hold her to burp or for "tummy time" on my chest, she pushes with her legs to bear her weight - they are so strong!  She even has little mini quad creases that you can see through her thigh fat :)  I predict that she will be an early walker.

The last thing of note - Annika and I will begin the transition to day care next week.  At first, I will be there with her the whole time she's there, and then I'll start leaving for an hour here, and hour there, and then we will be part time all summer until full time beginning September 1.  Again, I'm nervous because she's soooo young, but we will go slowly, and I'm looking at the bright side that this will give her great opportunity to bond with the teachers there.  Maybe there will be less screaming than there was with Maya when she was 8 months :)

A few of the things Annika loves:
- NURSING (in case you couldn't tell by her size)
- Being in the bath
- Watching Maya
- Bird walks with Dada
- Sleeping on top of people
- Being on the changing table, especially if there are shadows to watch on the wall

A few of the things Annika hates:
- Getting out of the bath (oh, the screaming!)
- Being left alone, anywhere
- Sun in her eyes
- Wind

A few more photos below for you to enjoy :)

I went for my first postpartum run this week - and it wasn't awful!

Such a pensive baby

Hemangioma, week 8

Maya eating mango off the seed during taco night


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

41 Weeks

The Two Week Wait